Monday, November 03, 2008

Most of us know the story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah. As a kid, you sure perk up and listen a bit more when you have the same name as one of the people in the story.

Leah used to be, to me, the one that nobody wanted. And I was scared for awhile as an early teen that I was destined to be unmarried - why? because our names were the same. and because Leah can mean 'weak eyes' - and if anybody remembers my glasses from grade 6-9, you will remember the bottle caps I used to wear. and if anybody mentions that you'll be...i dunno, deleted from my blog?!

But I finally heard a fresh, positive perspective on Leah. kinda with a twist, but it was refreshing none the less!

My head teacher, Mrs.Kwak, at Ah jung Middle School (all of that is for my slipping memory!) is a Christian and wanted to know what my name meant. She didn't know much about the Leah, Rachel, Jacob love triangle, so i told her that my name means 'weak eyes'. (Appropriate if you ask my parents how much glasses have cost over the years.)
She went to church and the next week came running up to me to tell me what she'd learned about Leah. She was very excited and wanted to share such a positive view point from her pastor:

He gave the twist that Rachel was in love with Jacob and he loved her completely. So because Rachel had Jacob's love, her love for God was distracted. It could have been difficult for her to love both God and Jacob at the same time, and perhaps her love for God was 2nd to Jacob.

But because Leah never had Jacob's undying affection, she was free to love God whole-heartedly without distraction. Therefore she actually had the best life and the best love possible.

Mrs.Kwak conclusion was that I should be happy that my name is from such a God-fearing woman.

But, I am, of course, married. And happily.

So my struggle comes with showing God enough love and affection while I have a tangible husband to build my life with. It's a struggle to build my life ON God when I have Craig to build my life WITH.

I love God...but do I love Craig more?

those are my thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great thoughts. Especially the idea of building your life ON God WITH someone else is so... clear. I love that.

I'm glad you're a Leah! You're my favorite one. : D